For Planning Purposes: July 14, 2021
Contact: Erica Jordan at 704-654-2134 or email@example.com
Wednesday, July 14th
10:30 am ET
Link to Register
Washington, DC – On Wednesday July 14th at 10:30 am ET, potential TPS holders and experts from Guatemala and the United States will join Rep. Norma Torres (CA-35) to explain the urgent need for the Biden Administration to designate Guatemala for TPS. Country conditions in Guatemala have continued to deteriorate over the years with increased violence, corruption, environmental disasters and impacts of climate change —all of which has been compounded by the COVID-19 pandemic. This is the first in a series of events calling for TPS for Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, and Nicaragua.
A TPS designation for Guatemala would not only provide protections from deportation for those who have fled dangerous circumstances, but would also prompt an increased flow of remittances back to Guatemala. The Biden Administration should act quickly to utilize TPS to save lives but also as a tool to help financially stabilize the country.
- Rep. Norma Torres (CA-35)
- Pablo Huinil Escobar, Restaurant Worker in Minnesota, Potential TPS Holder
- Mario Barillas, President, Association of Guatemalans Without Border, Potential TPS Holder
- Ricardo Barrientos, Senior Economist, ICEFI (Central American Institute for Fiscal Studies)
- Andrea Barrios, Colectivo Artesana
- Oscar Chacon, Executive Director, Alianza Americas
- Daniella Burgi-Palomino, Co-director, Latin America Working Group (LAWG)
WHEN: Wednesday, July 14th at 10:30 am ET
HOW: Register for the press call here. The webinar will be over Zoom with simultaneous translation with Spanish and English audio channels. Please register with your full name, you will receive an email with info on how to join the meeting.